Friday, March 07, 2014

Interview with Hydrangea Home - our guest blogger



You can meet some amazing people through blogging. I stumbled across Dawn’s blog, Hydrangea Home when I was searching for some ideas for my party favors. I discovered Hydrangea Home and Dawn. I contacted Dawn and asked if she can make pretty paper cones that I found on her blog. She was happy to make them even though I was already on a tight deadline. 

Every detail was perfect from the embossed paper to the red roses which was the theme of the christening. Dawn added that special touch by hand delivering the favors. It is those touches, those details that can make a business successful. Make a business stand out.

We proudly Introduce this weeks guest blogger:

Hydrangea home is a small business on Long Island specializing in handmade home decor, art/photography, hand painted furniture and beautiful unique items for the home.

What made you get into Annie Sloan paint?
I painted furniture many years ago and was looking to get back into it but wanted to achieve old world finishes. I was researching milk paint when I came across the Annie Sloan line of paints which had been around for many years in Europe but was new to the US. I bought a couple of cans and I was hooked!


Dawn did an amazing job, refinishing my vintage furniture

What is your favorite Annie Sloan paint color? 
I don't know if I can choose one favorite! But I do love the French Linen - it was the exact color of the moldings and doors in the house we rented during our trip to France.  Her Duck Egg Blue, Provence, Versailles, Old White, Paris Grey and Graphite are also my standard favorites. They are so true to the colors found all over doors, trims and shutters in France. 

How is chalk paint different than milk paint?
I have not yet tried milk paint but I can tell you that it comes in a powder to be mixed with water and works beautifully as a paint/stain over unfinished wood. When painted over a previously finished piece of furniture, a natural chipping process can occur but is not as easily controlled as with chalk paint. I will give it a try one of these days! But for now I do love the finishes I can achieve with the chalk paint line. It's very easy to distress and create great patinas with Annie Sloan's paints and waxes.


Thank you Dawn, for helping with this past holiday handmade decor 

Would you ever consider teaching a class? You are so talented.
I have considered teaching but it's not in the immediate future unless I can create longer days!


Tell us a bit about your store and the wonderful items you make.
My online shop is filled with a little bit of everything I love. Our biggest sellers are our handmade wood boxes and trays which have distressed chalk paint finishes. They are a popular item for home and event decorating.  I also really enjoy creating vintage style signs with french typography. Some of my other passions are creating preserved floral arrangements, art and photography and due to my habit of collecting, I have become a supplier of some gorgeous ribbons as well. 


Your a working stay at home mom. How do you juggle it all?
That's a tough one that I've been working on for a long time (19 years)!  We are a family of six with a very busy color coded calendar. Now that the kids are getting older, they help out a bit more around the house. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, driving is shared by all. We manage to have healthy home made meals, and I get to make it to almost all of the kids' sporting and school events. However, that does mean working all kinds of crazy hours, early morning, late night and weekends. I am not really able to keep a set schedule due to all of the events but I wouldn't want it any other way. When you love what you do, it's not really work!